****http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/index.htm****
With that being said, I think I would actually go to this museum. Yeah I said it. I would. I feel as though there is a lot to be learned there, and I have SOME knowledge but I am not an EXPERT by any means on the Jim Crow Era. So, yes, I would go to the museum, and I would suggest that others go as well, specifically those who are not black, so that they too could see and experience what it was like to live in America during those years.
Apparently, because my girlfriend's best friend ran across this museum, they began talking about minstrel shows. I'm sure most of you have heard of the minstrel shows...black face. It was basically white people, with black painted faces, making Black people look and sound stupid, in order to make their white counterparts chuckle. Then, this expanded into Black people also being minstrels. Painting their already black face even blacker, making their lips bigger, and making themselves stupider to make white people laugh. It was not a good way to live.
Of course, these minstrels are in the Jim Crow Museum. The so-called father of minstrelsy was Thomas Dartmouth Rice.
Here is a compilation of "Darkening Up" clips:
Do I really need to say anything about this? I really question the minds of the people that thought this was a good idea. Or good entertainment!!! I mean c'mon, they obviously did not value black people, they were still thought of as property, or as savage animals (which is exactly how the Black Man was portrayed).
As horrible and crazy as all of these things are, a lot of people do NOT know anything about this part of our history, and in a sense this museum can really do something to change that. I don't see anything wrong with people increasing their knowledge as long as these people do not actually have malicious intentions.
On to the vaginas.......
In my Gender & Violence class we talk about a lot of interesting things...even though we haven't actually gotten into the meat of the content yet (We have only met 2 times, and it's a once a week class). One of the interesting things we talked about was the Vagina Monologues. Now, I have always wanted to go, but I never had the guts to ask anyone to go and it just never worked out. So, I am making it my GOAL to make it there this year. Some students came and presented about some people in the class volunteering, and after they showed this video, for some reason I knew that I just REALLY wanted to go. IDK this stuff is just right up my alley!
***NOTE: The video goes black for a little while at the beginning, but just be patient lol
Judge me all you want, but it is what it is!!



No comments:
Post a Comment